- In MS SQL Management Studio click "Tools - Options - Designer" and UNcheck the "Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation" box.
- Right-click the table and select "Design" for SQL 2008 or "Modify" for SQL 2005.
- Press F4 to open the "properties" window.
- Make sure that you have the table (!) selected on top of the "properties" window.
- Change the "text filegroup" for the table.
- DO NOT save your changes. The SQL-server most likely will throw a timeout error for your large table.
- Instead choose "Generate change script" and copy the resulting text to the new query window.
- Run the query.
- Be patient.
Thanks to http://blog.jitbit.com